Self-Introduction

Eric "Sparks" Christensen sparks at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 8 14:33:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 14:50, Travis Whitlock <btw9979 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>    My name is Travis Whitlock and I am an American currently living in
> Darmstadt, Germany.  This is my first time contributing to an open source
> project and I am very excited to help out.  I would really like to offer
> something in return to the open source community that has already helped me
> and I really believe in the cause of free software.  I chose Fedora because
> I have tried several Linux distros and Fedora is by far my favorite.  Below
> are my answers to the standard questions from the website:
> 1.  What other projects or writing have you worked on in the past?
>      I spent 8 years in the US Air Force and worked as an information
> manager.  This job involved lots of writing for high level military
> officers.  Its not the style I will be using in the documentation for Fedora
> but it did teach me a lot about writing.  After my military time I started
> working as a system administrator.  I have done lots of server documentation
> which usually involves writing the occasional "idiot-proof" walkthrough.
> 2.  What level and type of computer skills do you have?
>     I have been working in IT for 14 years as a system administrator.  I am
> getting my big break into systems engineering in Jan 2011 at a company that
> uses Linux to build secure computing systems.  I have experience with many
> different systems including:  Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Sun Solaris 8/10,
>  Trusted Solaris, and Windows (3.1 and up).  I have very little college time
> behind me but several industry certifications.
>     I also enjoy programming and scripting.  I have experience with bash,
> csh, perl, python, windows powershell, C# and the .net framework.  My best
> accomplishment so far as a programmer is that I wrote a set of scripts that
> replaced my companies broken MS Systems Management Server (SMS).  I even
> built a cool GUI so that my coworkers (windows admins) could use it. :)  I
> love to code but I am a little intimidated by OS and App development so I
> decided to start off helping with documentation.
> 3.  What other skills do you have that might be applicable?
>    I have lots of experience with US govt IT systems.  So if anyone ever has
> questions about how the govt does IT I can probably help you out.
> 4.  What makes you an excellent match for the project?
>     I am very excited and inexperienced but enthusiasm counts for something.
>  I just want to start off with something simple and work my way up to more
> difficult tasks.  Having a mentor would be nice.
> GPG KEYID and Fingerprint
> pub   2048R/98824C0B 2010-11-03
>       Key fingerprint = 630C AF6D D95A F129 97FC  3BA1 A3AD 261A 9882 4C0B
> uid                  Benjamin Travis Whitlock <btw9979 at gmail.com>
> sub   2048R/C944289E 2010-11-03
> I look forward to meeting the folks on the documentation team.
> Travis Whitlock

Welcome aboard, Travis.  Sounds like you have skills that will be
quite useful in the Project.

Please join us on IRC[1] in #fedora-docs.  That is where our
day-to-day operations occur.  We also meet[2] on Thursdays at 00:01
UTC in #fedora-meeting.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate#IRC
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_meetings

Again, welcome aboard!