Changes to the Security Guide.ent file

Eric "Sparks" Christensen sparks at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 7 04:25:47 UTC 2010

On 10/06/2010 07:21 PM, Ruediger Landmann wrote:
>  On 10/06/2010 05:48 AM, Eric "Sparks" Christensen wrote:
> ========
> Specific problems with the entities currently in the Security Guide are
> illustrative of the dangers of entities in documentation that is to be
> translated:
>
> <!ENTITY PRODUCT "Fedora">
> Incorrect Bugzilla product; and this name with its "a" ending causes
> problems for languages that inflect nouns; for example, Slavic
> languages. The Publican User Guide includes a long illustration of the
> havoc this causes: http://tinyurl.com/37n5tht

This isn't showing up in any of the XML files.  I've changed this to
"Fedora Documentation" to fix the BZ information.

> <!ENTITY BOOKID "Security_Guide">
> Incorrect Bugzilla component -- should be "security-guide"

Verified and fixed.

> <!ENTITY PROD "Fedora">
> Never, ever include an entity for "Fedora" in the body text of a book.
> See comments on &PRODUCT; above.

Replaced &PROD; with Fedora throughout the guide.

> <!ENTITY RHELVER "10">
> Fine

Didn't see this used anywhere in the guide so I removed it.

> <!ENTITY SEL "SELinux">
> Precludes transliteration and grammatical inflection, and makes
> translation difficult since the meaning of the string is hidden. In many
> (perhaps most) languages, translators need to know the grammatical
> gender and grammatical number of a word to translate the surrounding
> text correctly. Setting entities like this forces translators to refer
> regularly to the entities file; to which they do not have easy access.
> In particular, Transifex does not make the entities file available.

Replaced &SEL; with SELinux throughout.

> <!ENTITY FORMAL-RHI "Fedora Core">
> Probably harmless; but probably obsolete, precludes transliteration, and
> precludes grammatical inflection.

Another variable I couldn't find used anywhere in the guide so it has
been removed.

> <!ENTITY RH "Red Hat">
> Probably harmless; but precludes transliteration and precludes
> grammatical inflection

Same as FORMAL-RHI.

> <!ENTITY RHSELINUXTOOL "&SEL; Administration Tool">
> Very harmful! -- prevents translation of "Administration Tool" (and
> hides meaning from translators)

This has been searched and replaced throughout.

> <!ENTITY CURRENTVER "10">
> Fine

Couldn't find this as being used anywhere in the guide and has been removed.

> <!ENTITY HOLDER "Red Hat, Inc">
> Fine to set, but if non-Red Hat employees have worked on this book (and
> I know they have!) it should be "Red Hat, Inc. and others"

I added " and others" to the existing text.

> <!ENTITY YEAR "2010">
> Fine
>
> <!ENTITY RHSECLEVELTOOL "Firewall Configuration Tool">
> Very harmful! -- prevents translation of "Firewall Configuration Tool"
> (and hides meaning from translators)

Search and replaced.

> <!ENTITY RHN "Red Hat Network">
> Probably harmless; but precludes transliteration and precludes
> grammatical inflection (and hides meaning from translators)

Search and replaced.

> ========
>
> Tangentially, I notice this book contains a customized Feedback.xml file
> that overrides the standard Feedback.xml of the brand. I think this is
> best avoided. We provide the Feedback.xml in the brand so that:

Yeah, the one that was in there didn't make a lot of sense.  It has been
removed and the standard Feedback.xml is being used.

> Cheers
> Rudi

Thanks for the insight!

- --Eric