Fedora Library

Guru guru at gadgetwisdom.com
Sun Oct 24 19:39:06 UTC 2010

 Sorry, this email took a few days, but it came up at Wednesday's Docs
meeting

Recently, I filed a Request for Enhancement against Publican that
added OPDS support.  Here is a good summary of it...
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/OPDS

"The idea of this system is to provide a format that can be used by
eBook readers or even a dedicated eBook reader devices with Internet
access to be able to search, discover, and download eBooks from online
eBook catalogs. The system requires a rss style processor that works
with the distribution system to display choices with descriptions for
the user to download."

This allows e-reading programs and devices to browse through our Docs
catalog. It is already available at
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/opds.xml if you want to try it in
a supported reader.

But, this being the way it is, and being that we package FBReader, the
thought was whether or not we could work upstream with FBReader or
modify it locally to include the Fedora OPDS. It would make for a good
Fedora Library program, in the documentation section, where someone
getting used to Fedora could easily browse the docs, transfer them
locally, and read them, thus enhancing the experience.

Thoughts?