Procedure for working with guides not originally written in English

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Wed Sep 1 23:00:11 UTC 2010

  On 09/02/2010 01:55 AM, Eric "Sparks" Christensen wrote:
> This morning I worked with gomix and dbecker on IRC (#fedora-docs) with
> a non-English guide that we want to make official.  Because the base
> language of all our guides has been English, and our translation tools
> are based on English, this was a process that had been thought about but
> not spelled out... until today.
>
> The following process has been established and is open for suggestions:
>
> Non-English source
> Non-English source
> in DocBook XML
> Non-English POT
> English PO
> English POT
> Translated POs
> Publish English and translated
> versions of the guide
>
> The process needs to be fleshed out a bit and tools identified at
> various points but this should be a good starting point.
>
> As long as the source owner can find someone to translate the source
> into English then our tool-chains should work.

 From the Publican end, this could be even simpler:

Non-English XML

Non-English POT

Translated POs (including English)

Publish Original version of guide plus other translations including English

I'm pretty sure Transifex also doesn't care what language is used in the
msgid strings in the POT file either.

Cheers
Rudi

(sorry to anyone seeing this twice; I forgot to hit "reply all" last time)