Open-source style guide

Zach Oglesby oglesbyzm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 06:27:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 5:19 AM, Ruediger Landmann <r.landmann at redhat.com> wrote:
>  On 09/07/2010 12:43 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:

> So am I. Pragmatically, however, I have no doubt that insisting on a SA
> clause will limit how widely this resource will be used, which in turn
> limits its usefulness to anybody since it works against any network
> effect.[0]
>
> A shared style guide should be a resource that any distro, desktop
> project, or application project can take, add any material that's
> specific to their project, and republish as their own style guide under
> whatever license they usually use for their documentation.

If removing the SA requirement for the style guide means a wider
adoption and a common style between projects I personally think that
it's worth the move. If a group changes the style guide and is not
willing to share it with others then it makes no difference to the
grater community because they will have shown they don't actually care
about the principles behind a shared style guide.

Zach Oglesby