Release Notes Draft

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 13:20:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 12:14:17AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 11:45:53AM -0400, John J. McDonough wrote:
> > A number of beats were blank, and some of them probably should be, but I
> > left them in the document for now as a reminder in case you are aware of
> > something that is missing.  I will get rid of them tomorrow.
>
> Systemd needs more explaining, if we want that transition to go smoothly.
> And it should be in the index under "init" as well as systemd. And also, it
> should not go under "Boot" -- it is a system which manages processes on the
> system from startup to shutdown.

To Docs list -- is there any new material in the Deployment Guide
about using systemd?  There is some helpful documentation online at
the systemd upstream here:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd

(Look for "Manual Pages And Documentation" somewhat down the list a
bit.)  At a minimum, we probably need to cover:

* How to change the default boot target
* How to enable/disable and start/stop services
* How to list what services are running now and what they're doing

It looks like these are covered in the man pages, FAQ, and tips &
tricks there, but any coverage of /sbin/chkconfig and /sbin/service
will probably need updating.  Note that there is still a chance that
systemd maybe deferred to F15 -- so this work is probably best done in
a branch and merged for the appropriate release.