UG status at Docs Meeting

Susan Lauber laubersm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 14 16:24:11 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I am going to TRY (really really really try) to make the Docs meeting this
week.
I'm a bit behind schedule with the F14 User Guide updates - like I should
have started getting helpers working a few weeks ago :)
But I plan to hammer out as much as I can over the next 10 days -
specifically M-F of next week.

Why post here?
1. give me more incentive to make sure I keep my word and show up :)
2. Help Wanted:  Great entry level positions available!

Seriously, this is a great opportunity for new contributors to get
involved.  It is real simple:
Install the latest F14 versions (alpha should be fine, Beta candidates are
even better).
Read the current F13 User Guide and note what needs to change for F14.

Some examples of what to look for when reviewing the guide:
Maybe the default GNOME irc client has changed names or been replaced.  Is
the old one still available just not default?  Tell me something similar (or
even better) different about the new one.
So the default music player is the same but the description is outdated -
what is wrong and needs to be removed? what new features need to be
included.
Are all the URL links still valid?
This guide is intended for "new to Fedora" (and "new to linux") users.  We
want to show that we have the apps to do most anything but we also do not
want to bore anyone with lists of features. We also do not want to duplicate
demos and screenshots that are available in upstream documentation and wiki
sites - links are better.

Many chapters can be done in a virtual machine.

I'll take what ever format is offered -
want to checkout the git repo, make changes to a unit, and commit/push it
yourself? wonderfull!
want to checkout the git repo, make changes locally, and send in a patch? no
problem
want to just send me a descriptive email that I can use as checklist to make
the changes?  I'll take it (you can send it here, or even better - open a
bug for each section that needs to be changed)

Last release I had a wiki page with the units and their status and a place
for anyone to make a note that they would do a specific unit.  I need to
find that page and clear it and update it for F14 then we will be off to the
races.  I may not get that done by this week's meeting, but I will have it
done by the end of this week.

Thanks,
-Susan

--