Installation guide - ISO media and USB clarification

James Laska jlaska at
Wed Sep 29 16:17:13 UTC 2010

Greetings folks,

Based on an issue discovered during Fedora 14 Beta testing, the Fedora
QA team is currently discussing how best to address gaps in our test
matrix [1].  The specific bug [2] potentially concerns using the
livecd-iso-to-disk command to write ISO media other than the Live image
to a USB drive.

From looking at the Fedora 13 installation guide, it recommends using
the Live.iso and ...
      * liveusb-creator on Windows [3]
      * liveusb-creator, livecd-iso-to-disk or dd on Linux [4]

Later in the guide, it recommends using the boot.iso and ...
      * livecd-iso-to-disk on Linux [5]

Does anyone know why that last bullet recommends using the boot.iso
instead of the Live.iso?  I'm trying to reconcile what is documented and
what is supported by the livecd-tools package.  This mail is intended to
cover the documentation.