L10N migration to transifex.net

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 21:34:16 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:31:21AM -0500, Eric "Sparks" Christensen wrote:
> On 02/16/2011 09:43 AM, Zach Oglesby wrote:
> > Over the last few days it has been decided that we are going to move
> > all of Fedora's translation efforts away from a self hosted solution
> > and on to transifex.net.
> >
> > The migration over to tx.net also means a huge jump to version 1.1
> > from 0.7, with that we no longer have support for tx to commit to the
> > git repo[1]. This is going to require a redesign of our workflow to
> > insure that we are publishing the most up to date.
> >
> > The new system requires us to use a command-line tool, that is in the
> > process of being packaged, and works much like git[1]. This means that
> > we now have to pull in translations by hand, but tx.net can monitor
> > the git repo (over HTTP) for changes that we make (you can also push
> > via tx command).
> >
> > Trans.fp.o will be turned off on Feb 18th, so we need to make sure
> > that we have all of the current trans worked saved and then we need to
> > work on moving to tx.net. We still have a little time to get that part
> > of this figured out since we are not due to make POT files until March
> > 15th, but we need to start looking at what this means for publishing
> > to docs.fp.o and for packaging into the release.
> >
> > It is important to remember that the pains that we may be dealing with
> > are not because of the migration to tx.net but because of the upgrade
> > to 1.1, which would have happend regardless. If anyone has any
> > questions or concerns please don't hesitate to ask!
> >
> > I am going to add this to the agenda for tonights meeting as well.
> >
> > [1]: http://help.transifex.net/user-guide/one-dot-zero.html
> > [2]: http://help.transifex.net/user-guide/client/client-0.4.html
> >

> This sounds like a great opportunity for the translators to better own
> their translations.  I know at one point we were looking at translators
> being responsible for publishing and packaging their translations when
> they felt their translations were ready.  This would solve the problem
> of us Docs folks arbitrarily publishing translations.
>
> It is unfortunate that tx.net can't interface with our git repositories,
> though.  I'd hate to loose data in a system we don't have control over.

IF you're worried about data loss, you could ask the Tx.n
administrators directly about the integrity/backup mechanisms they
have in place against data loss.  AIUI TX.n can provide full
translation history via git, which means our ability to get data out
of the system should be unimpeded.  (Also, the code used to run Tx.n
is 100% FOSS so we can do crazy manipulations or even make RFE's if
needed.)