L10N migration to transifex.net

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 21 10:23:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Ruediger Landmann
<r.landmann at redhat.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Therefore, I have obtained permission from my manager to put time and
> resources into packaging Transifex 1.1 for fedoraproject.org. I have
> also had the time and skills of two Red Hat sysadmins allocated to get
> Fedora's own instance of Transifex upgraded and migrated ASAP.
>
> I believe that if the Fedora Localization Project is open to the idea,
> we could have an up-to-date and fully functional local instance of
> Transifex 1.1 available within a week.
>
> Does this seem acceptable?
>
> I also want to take this opportunity to thank Dmitris for his extremely
> generous offer to host this massive project on behalf of Fedora.
> However, apart from the reasons I gave earlier, I also can't help but
> feel that this direction would be grossly unfair on Dmitris and his
> business. Indifex is, after all, a commercial venture, and server
> resources and bandwidth aren't free of charge -- especially on the scale
> contemplated for Fedora. Just before I came to work for Red Hat, I owned
> a small IT business myself, and know that every penny counts! :)
>
> Cheers
> Rudi

Thanks for the proposal.
+1 to run our own instance.

As translator, we just need a running instance. As our current
instance is running with issues for at least 1 year, the question is
why no discussion between l10n and infra was done before. And I've not
seen any request on the trans mailing list to joining the infra...

Translators just need to translate efficiently. This could not be done
with the current instance for every projects.
The move to txn appears to not be complete (I've at least seen 3 bug
reports) but should not take too long.
Having more people joining/helping the infra for a week is really great.
The most important is to see with the infra how could we handle the
transifex instance in a long term, but you, Ruediger, told us that
this should not be a problem, thanks! (Guarantee should be discussed
with the infra team).
Therefor, as a l10n member, the most important is to have a working
workflow. Having fas auth is great, but not mandatory.

As a Fedora Project contributor, Fedora running its own instance is
better as we have a strong community who do great job. Having the
power to decide is better that choosing an alternate solution because
we don't have the power.

In an other hand, running our own instance would help Indifex in two
ways. First, we won't use their bandwith as told before, and secondly,
we would be an example of their product reuse. Having our Open Source
software reused is one of the Freedom goal.

Anyway, thanks for the proposal, and thanks to people working on the txn move.
We have taken a decision last week... If we want to change our mind,
we should do it quickly but this really concern the infra team.

Regards,

--
Kévin Raymond (shaiton)
GPG-Key: A5BCB3A2