L10N migration to transifex.net

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Mon Feb 21 20:49:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 15:26 -0500, Jared K. Smith wrote:


> Just as a quick follow-up, I discussed this with the Fedora Board in
> our board meeting today, and we agreed that the best time to revisit
> the decision to migrate to transifex.net is after the F15 release.  We
> don't want to run the risk of further shortening the time remaining
> for translations.

Just a heads-up ....

This change came up quickly, and perhaps more significantly, with no
test instance or testing time.  Ideally we should have had testing time,
and conversion tasks should have been built into the schedule.

During translation, nightly builds are made of the release notes for the
translators.  Although, IN PRINCIPLE, it should be a simple change to do
it with the new Tx, these things rarely turn out to be as simple as they

There is a risk that the translators will not have test copies as
quickly as they expect, and may need to do the builds manually for a
while.  I haven't completely immersed myself in this process but I
understand they might not have the capability of doing those builds
manually, so there is a chance they might have to fly blind for a while.

Note that we might be OK.  Perhaps everything will go smoothly, but we
won't know until mid-March or later.

But I haven't seen mention of this, and admittedly, haven't been paying
close attention either.  Better to be advised of the risk.


More information about the docs mailing list