Copyright notice (was: Docs Project meeting minutes 13 July 2011)

Petr Kovar pkovar at redhat.com
Thu Jul 14 18:10:21 UTC 2011

Hi all,

> From: "Eric Christensen" <eric at christensenplace.us>

(...)

> * Copyright changes for all guides (Sparks, 23:43:48)
> * LINK:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/docs/2011-June/013474.html
> (Sparks, 23:44:04)
> * ACTION: Sparks to file a bug to continue the discussion on whether
> or not the copyright holder can come from a Publican brand (Sparks,
> 23:51:54)

As a follow-up to the copyright discussion we had during the IRC meeting:
my point was that some [previous] authors of Fedora docs were not necessarily
Fedora Contributors at time of authorship (like e.g. Eric Foster-Johnson
who wrote the original RPM Guide, AFAIK).

Maybe adding "and others" at the end of the copyright notice would solve the
problem in such cases?

This leads us to another question: How do we define a Fedora Contributor? As
someone who has signed up for a Fedora Account, or someone who has submitted
a patch, content and/or other form of contribution to Fedora Project but has
not necessarily signed up for an account, or... ?

Yes, these are multiple questions actually. :-)

I agree that it's best to consult a lawyer (again) on this matter.

Cheers,
--
Petr Kovar
Content Author | Engineering Content Services