Copyright notice (was: Docs Project meeting minutes 13 July 2011)

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Fri Jul 15 18:53:55 UTC 2011

On Jul 14, 2011 2:10 PM, "Petr Kovar" <pkovar at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> > From: "Eric Christensen" <eric at christensenplace.us>
>
> (...)
>
> > * Copyright changes for all guides (Sparks, 23:43:48)
> > * LINK:
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/docs/2011-June/013474.html
> > (Sparks, 23:44:04)
> > * ACTION: Sparks to file a bug to continue the discussion on whether
> > or not the copyright holder can come from a Publican brand (Sparks,
> > 23:51:54)
>
> As a follow-up to the copyright discussion we had during the IRC meeting:
> my point was that some [previous] authors of Fedora docs were not
necessarily
> Fedora Contributors at time of authorship (like e.g. Eric Foster-Johnson
> who wrote the original RPM Guide, AFAIK).

IIRC, if the original work is licensed so we can make a derivative work,
like we have in the case of the RPM Guide, the person making the derivative
owns the copyright for their work and provides attribution back to the
source.

> Maybe adding "and others" at the end of the copyright notice would solve
the
> problem in such cases?
>
> This leads us to another question: How do we define a Fedora Contributor?
As
> someone who has signed up for a Fedora Account, or someone who has
submitted
> a patch, content and/or other form of contribution to Fedora Project but
has
> not necessarily signed up for an account, or... ?

To be a member of the Docs Project, and by extension have commit access, you
must have signed the contributor agreement and be contributing your work to
the Deepest repositories which makes you a contributor.

> Yes, these are multiple questions actually. :-)
>
> I agree that it's best to consult a lawyer (again) on this matter.

Definitely need Spot or Fontana or... to take a look at this.

--Eric