Attribution in formal guides

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Jun 17 23:03:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 15:34 -0400, Eric Christensen wrote:
> At SELF I spoke with Spot about attribution in docs. The CC license does
> not specify the means in which we provide attribution for work we use in
> our documentation.  I'm specifically concerned about how to attribute work
> that originates on the wiki that makes it into formal documentation.
>
> I'd like to establish a standard for doing this.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Specifically with regard to wiki additions, it would not be impossible
for either a plugin to assemble a list of names who contributed to beats
that became guides -- but there would need to be a set of rules so that
minor proofing edits (punctuation, spelling, rephrasing, etc.) were
identified in a different class from the main content contributions.

Anyway, the basic idea I have to simplify things is have a plugin which
generates a back-page on the wiki, say on a tab next to the "discussion"
back page (or drops a file somewhere, or whatever), that contains a list
of names with contribution category tags (edit, proofing, writer, etc.)
if possible. That list would be folded into the attribution page/section
of the formal documentation and we'd at least know who was involved in
writing what.

This may be too simple in theory and too complex to implement (that is,
a bad idea) but an idea it is, no less.

-Iwao