Proposal: end Gilligan's Island copyright notices in Fedora docs

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Sat Jun 25 04:15:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 11:02:17AM -0400, Eric "Sparks" Christensen wrote:
> Attribution is a problem that I wrote about on the list not too long
> ago.[0]  In my opinion we aren't doing attribution correctly.
> Unfortunately CC-BY-SA doesn't provide any specific requirement on
> *how* to attribute the work (thanks to Spot for pointing that out).

> [0] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/docs/2011-June/013440.html

I think you're right that this is an issue for work that originates in
the wiki.

I note that when you make a wiki edit you are presented with this
language:

  Please note that all contributions to FedoraProject are considered
  to be released under the Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported (see
  FedoraProject:Copyrights for details). If you do not want your
  writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then do
  not submit it here.  You are also promising us that you wrote this
  yourself, or copied it from a public domain or similar free
  resource. Do not submit copyrighted work without permission!

Incidentally I don't like how this is worded, now that I look at it,
but anyway you could deal with the attribution issue within such a
notice. Wikipedia does that - when you do an edit, it displays a
notice that says:

   You agree that a hyperlink or URL is sufficient attribution under
   the Creative Commons license.

FWIW I read CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported (as applied to settings we're
dealing with here) as saying that, by default, you have to supply the
name of the 'Original Author' "if supplied", as attribution.

- RF