FAD @ OLF

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 18:24:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 08:54:36AM -0400, Eric Christensen wrote:
> Ohio Linux Fest (OLF) is coming up fast (09 - 11 September) and we
> need to figure out if we want to do a Fedora Activity Day (FAD).  From
> a Docs perspective, the timing couldn't be better.  Although it would
> seem quite early for the F16 release it's actually a great time to
> really get hacking on guides and such and leave small tweaks for post
> FAD.  This would also leave a lot more time for the L10n team to do
> their thing.
>
> To determine whether a FAD should go forward we need to figure out two
> things:  who can attend and what do we hope to accomplish.  I know
> several of us have already said that we are planning on attending.  I
> think we can possibly handle VoIP connectivity as well for those in
> neighboring continents.
>
> As far as goals I'd have to start a list that includes:
>
> 1. Working to make sure the Release Notes are on track.
> 2. Working on the User Guide.
> 3. Smoothing out the translation process and removing barriers.
>
> Others?
>
> I just started a wiki page[0] to better document this.  Go there and
> help spread the love!
>
> [0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_@_OLF_2011

Great idea, Eric.  By the time you're plotting out a budget (if it's
needed), I would suggest the goals be measurable.  How about something
like this?

* Prepare Release Notes by completing the following tasks (not sure
    what this is nowadays, but it might be something like):

  * Review and ratify organization (essentially, confirm Docs team
    is happy about the way it works, and if not, change as desired)

  * Erase old content from wiki

  * (insert stuff here)

* Complete the following chapters in the User Guide:

  * (list)

* For the translation bullet -- figure out the process changes needed
  on the list (with trans@ folks), then figure out what needs to
  happen at the FAD to make them a reality.

By the way, I sent in proposals for some talks in Ohio, and if I'm
selected and can swing the travel, I would love to participate.