Proposal: end Gilligan's Island copyright notices in Fedora docs

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Thu Jun 30 00:06:55 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 02:20:23AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 06/29/2011 10:02 PM, Richard Fontana wrote:
> >> I thought it was as well.  I'm no attorney (and don't play one on IRC
> >> or email), but I don't see a pressing reason *not* to have a copyright
> >> notice.
> > I don't see a pressing reason not to have one if the one Pam suggested
> > is acceptable.
>
> Precisely..  Legalese should be avoided as much as possible. Can we take
> this uniform,  consistent approach and apply it to other places like the
> installer, website,  media artwork etc instead of doing it for the docs?

As a replacement specifically for "Red Hat, Inc. and others" where the
latter happens to be used today, in Fedora contexts? Sure (though I
assume that is off-topic for this list). Indeed I have already
suggested it for the website in the thread you started on the
advisory-board list.

It shouldn't necessarily replace *other* forms of copyright notices
that exist in the Fedora universe. The specific issue is the
Gilligan's Island copyright notice, nothing else.

--
Richard E. Fontana
Open Source Licensing and Patent Counsel