What still do you use? (MiB, MB…)

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 3 19:04:35 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I am about to update websites in order to use the mebi, gibi… notation.
That's a binary unit used now (or at least we have to use them). If
nobody change, we would still confuse beginers trying to understand if
M is 1000 or 1024.
>From [1],
    "These SI prefixes refer strictly to powers of 10. They should not
be used to indicate powers of 2 (for example, one kilobit represents
1000 bits and not 1024 bits). "

I am here to check the consistency with you guys.
I can read MiB in the newly created Release Notes, but MB in the User Guide.
Would you mind to *all* use the binary notation? Is there a writer
style guide? (The question is in fact, could we update it…)

More on wikipedia [2].

Cheers,

[1] http://www1.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf/si_brochure_8.pdf
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix