CC BY-SA attribution for Fedora docs

Shaun McCance shaunm at gnome.org
Mon Oct 3 23:09:29 UTC 2011

With documentation, GNOME sometimes acts as a downstream project to the
distros. So I'd like to provide the perspective of somebody who might
actually be reusing the content.

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 22:04 -0400, Richard Fontana wrote:
>   Required attribution under CC BY-SA shall include the names of all
>   listed authors of this document; the original title of this
>   document; the name of the Fedora Project together with the URL
>   <http://fedoraproject.org/>; and the URL for the original version of
>   this document.

The original title and Fedora advertisement are pretty burdensome,
and are reminiscent of the kinds of documentation licenses we've
been trying to get away from. They seem OK when publishing books,
but they get really tedious when you start piecing together topics
from a dozen different sources.

For comparison, here's Wikipedia's requirement:

  To re-distribute text on Wikipedia in any form, provide credit to the
  authors either by including a) a hyperlink (where possible) or URL to
  the page or pages you are re-using, b) a hyperlink (where possible) or
  URL to an alternative, stable online copy which is freely accessible,
  which conforms with the license, and which provides credit to the
  authors in a manner equivalent to the credit given on this website,
  or c) a list of all authors. (Any list of authors may be filtered to
  exclude very small or irrelevant contributions.)

--
Shaun