FUDCON Malaysia Docs Hackfest

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 20 15:50:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Joshua Wulf <jwulf at redhat.com> wrote:
> I have an idea for an interesting technological and social experiment around docs for the Malaysia FUDCON.
>
> We have a topic-based authoring tool that we're using to develop documentation inside Red Hat at the moment, called Topika.

I'd love to learn more about Topika as well... Is this an open source
project?  Is it something that mere mortals can start playing with?

> Last year I sponsored an intern project to integrate it with FAS, so it has a FAS authentication module.
>
> I can spin up an instance in OpenShift or EC2 with FAS auth, we can choose a book that we'd like to see for Fedora, and one that matches the prevalent area of interest / expertise of the attendees of the FUDCON.

For those of us not planning on coming to FUDCon Malaysia (or for
those who are attending but want to get up to speed on the tool ahead
of tim), can we spin up an instance now to start learning the ropes?

> Then at the FUDCON we work with the organisers to make it a feature of the FUDCON that we will crowdsource the book in the three days of the FUDCON. Every attendee can log into the Topika instance with their FAS account, and write one (1) topic, using the supplied template.

The assumption that every attendee will feel comfortable writing a
topic on a given book might be a bit of a stretch, but if you pull in
outside people that aren't able to attend FUDCon, it might work
better.

> If it works, then it could a viable way to get a book per FUDCON.
I love the idea of making sustainable documentation a goal for events
like FUDCon.  I'll do what I can to support you (remotely).

--
Jared Smith