Docs summary/update for L10n?

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 24 21:23:18 UTC 2012

Le mardi 24 avril 2012 à 15:39:25 (-0400), Christopher R. Antila a écrit :

> Hi:
>
> If we publish the Musicians' Guide for Fedora 17, it's going to be
> late. Other contributors have made worthwhile revisions, but some
> portions are out of date in a way that I don't want to publish a "new"
> version about "old" software that doesn't even exist in Fedora 16 any
> more.
>
> But the Fedora Audio Spin was accepted to Google Summer of Code, so
> we'll have motivation to make these and other significant revisions
> for Fedora 18, and they'll be ready well before the L10n submission
> deadline.

Nice!
As you agree that the Musician guide is out to date, we should probably
remove it from the fedora-docs transifex.net release. (See details
bellow).

> Christopher.
>
> P.S. I wonder if there's a better way to integrate our Docs work with
> the Localization Project? We could probably do better than encouraging
> writers to update the guides table on the wiki. Hmm...

I know that a draft process was started about publishing a doc, I don't
know which page is it.

But yeah, we should definetly set something.
At F16 you (the team) decided to start something like string freeze for
guides or RN I don't remember. Ok, if this is implemented this cycle
guides owner should [probably] send a notification to translators :).

Here is the translators point of view:

# He is going to translate something, he decides to go for a doc.
# He does *not* know about the guides status table as this is really
docs related.
# He goes to the fedora-docs transifex release[1], filtering by his
  language. He found *many* resources that have to be translated. They
  could be out dated…

I am one of the guys who can add/remove projects from the fedora-docs
release. Removed ones will still be only available directly using the project
url (eg. [2]), or by visiting the Fedora Project Hub[3].

By using transifex "releases", we order projects under the following
categories:
- fedora-docs
- fedora-websites
- fedora-main (software)
- fedora-upstream-projects (software with a different release cycle).

What we should to update the fedora-docs release, with guides that we
want translators to translate. Clearly, we don't want translators to
translate NOW the Musician guide for the good reasons that you explained
above. So it just has to leave (for now) the fedora-docs transifex
release (If you agree I'll do it).
But in the other way, we NEED to add them back when updated! I've
already asked guide owners about this a month ago…
Without beeing able to follow guide status, we can't handle this.

Of course, if you (guide owners) update corretly the guides table[4], we
(I…) would be able to update the fedora-docs transifex.net release and
let translators now about this change.
But if this table is not up to date, it won't works.
That's why I've started this thread, to know if the table is up to date
before cleaning/updating the fedora-docs release.

TODO:
- write this process somewhere if you guys agree (you can ping the
  Fedora Hub maintainers[5] to update the fedora-docs release if we
don't do it−hey, just seen that pmkovar is one of us!! He has power to
do so^^);
- Communicate about the guide status table on the L10n Guide, to have
people able to find the info in both teams.

[1] https://fedora.transifex.net/projects/p/fedora/r/fedora-docs/
[2] https://fedora.transifex.net/projects/p/fedora-musicians-guide/
[3] https://fedora.transifex.net/projects/p/fedora/access/outsource/
[4] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_guides_table