FUDCON Malaysia Book

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 27 12:56:21 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Joshua J Wulf <jwulf at redhat.com> wrote:
> "Introducing Fedora"
>
> It contains user stories ("my first Fedora"), anecdotes ("the best and the
> worst"), use cases ("What I'm doing with Fedora"), a chapter on Downloading
> and Installing (with links to more detailed documentation), what to try
> ("cool things in Fedora"), and where to go for more information / help.

At a FUDCon many many moons ago, we discussed a "Getting Started
Guide" for Fedora.  The idea was to have something that didn't just
introduce people to Fedora, but helped them get started with the
distribution but more importantly, get started as an active
participant in the community.  As I remember, the general outline we
discussed went something like:

* What is Fedora (short section explaining distributions, Linux, and Fedora)
* Getting started with Fedora (installation quick start)
* The Why of Fedora (philosophy of FLOSS, upstream vs. downstream,
patching, giving back, the open source way)
* Fedora governance organizations (FPL, board, steering committees, and SIGs)
* Joining Fedora (setting up a FAS account, joining mailing lists,
applying for group membership, and the laundry list of places people
can help)

I think these topics would be a great start to a book created at FUDCon.

--
Jared Smith