Talking Points

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Mon Dec 10 23:48:53 UTC 2012

On Dec 10, 2012 9:07 AM, "Jaroslav Reznik" <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]

I'm just becoming acquainted with this process,  so take my comments with
spoonful of salt :

As described in this thread, I see the true value of the talking points as
a staging resource used by docs and marketing to construct the release
announcement. We certainly need a place to hack over the copy, but it could
just as easily be done as a draft release announcement.

The other obvious use of the Talking Points is copyfodder tech journalists.
Journalists who want more information than presented in the release
announcement should arguably be reading the release notes.   If the release
notes themselves have become so esoteric that they can't be understood
without interpretation, I take that as a sign that we need to improve the
release notes.  The majority of articles I've seen on new releases are of
two varieties, either brief comments introducing the unedited release
announcement, or a walk through of using the livecd as shipped. Writers who
want to delve deeper into the release already have resources available.

In short, I agree with Ben - it seems redundant .  Docs and marketing time
is a finite resource that I think could be better spent.

--Pete