Man page website

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Tue Jul 31 05:38:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 12:18 +0800, Christopher Meng wrote:
> > I think we can get as many as possible.
> >
> > But it's really not an easy job.
>
> I've just been looking at the man2html manual. Apparently, you don't
> need to convert the man pages to html. The manual says:
>

> > This can be used as a stand-alone utility, but is mainly intended as an
> auxiliary, to enable users to browse their man pages using a html browser
> like lynx(1), xmosaic(1)  or  netā€scape(1).
>
> The manual then mentions quite a lot of stuff about CGI(something I know
> ZERO about). I suggest we involve infra in the discussion? I know
> bugzilla uses CGI, and infra would probably know how to use man2html?
>

> One requirement seems to be that we have *all* man pages from *all* out
> packages installed on the host so that man2html can run on it. I'm not
> sure if we have a host that has all packages installed. Again, infra
> would probably be able to shed more light on these details.
>
> And, uh, I would like to help out on this ;)

I had a brief conversation with the guys in #fedora-admin about the idea
this afternoon. It doesn't sound like there is a single resource that
currently has every .rpm or src.rpm on it for us to play with for a new
app, and they understandably weren't enthusiastic about enabling that kind
of kludge. For every package, we'd have to find out if there was an update,
pull the updated rpm/src.rpm, extract the manpages, parse over them, and
push to the web app.  TThey advised that the packages app looks like the
best bet for accomplishing this in a sustainable manner, since it's digging
through each rpm anyway.  That doesn't gain us much besides affirmation,
but it does give us somewhere to focus our efforts.