Docs meeting time

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Sat Mar 17 00:46:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-16 at 20:30 -0400, Eric H. Christensen wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 05:52:13PM -0400, Christopher R. Antila wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > Always a good idea to make life easier for non-Americans. Let's go
> > with UTC.
> >

> > CRA
> >
> > On 03/16/2012 01:12 PM, Petr Kovar wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:51:11 -0400 Ben Cotton
> > > <bcotton at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > (...)
> > >
> > > I was wondering what are other people's opinions on basing the docs
> > > meeting time on UTC instead of US-Eastern (which is what we do
> > > now). I think that people outside of the U.S. have a hard time
> > > remembering when the US-Eastern time changes. I know that there was
> > > some confusion about that before and during this week's meeting.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Petr Kovar
>
> I think the most confusing part is how we keep changing from daylight savings and UTC.  I really don't care which one we use but I'd prefer to keep the referenced timezone static.

You know, I'm leaning more and more toward UTC.   I hate having the
meeting move twice a year, but keeping up with the DST changes in
different places has to be horrible. Suppose we chose, for example,
Central European Time.  We would change when we went to DST, then again
when they went to DST, then again when they go back, then yet again when
we go back.  And of course the dates change whenever some legislature or
another gets a bright idea.

If we pick UTC, then everyone changes twice a year instead of some folks
not changing and others changing 4 times, two of which are probably a
complete surprise (do you know what date Hungary goes to savings time?
Would you remember when that date came?)

--McD