Suggestion for writing release notes

Couret Charles-Antoine cacouret at wanadoo.fr
Thu Sep 6 18:21:57 UTC 2012

Le 05/09/2012 23:43, Christopher Antila a écrit :

> First, thank you for contacting us before writing the Release Notes in
> French.
> I can't speak for other contributors, but I am surprised that short
> documentation
> is more difficult to translate. It makes sense now that I think of it,
> because when we write the documentation, we already know what we're
> thinking,
> but when you translate documentation, you don't know what we were
> thinking.
Yes, it's that.
And short documentation = less context, it adds an additional difficulty.

> You could help us learn to write in an easy-to-translate way by giving
> some examples of difficult phrases, then showing what we could write
> instead.
> Many of the Release Notes contributors, like myself, are not professional
> technical writers. We would certainly appreciate any advice you have.
I'm not a translator for a while, I not haveexamples in mind.
But the sentences are not developed enough and it becomes difficult to
understand.

> Second, as I said at the beginning, I think we should collaborate. If
> we collaborate,
> we can expand our community in new ways. The way we currently write
> documentation
> in Fedora (first in English, then translated) is a waste of resources.
> There
> are many talented and engaged contributors, like you, who could help write
> our documentation in a non-English language, then translate it to
> English. There
> are also many contributors like myself who are willing and able to
> translate
> from non-English languages, but who are not comfortable writing in them.
It's interesting. I like it.

> There are many possible technical problems. Does Transifex allow a
> document to
> have multiple source languages? Would we be able to coordinate who
> will write
> about which components? I think we can ignore these for now (see below).
Normally, Transifex can change the reference language.

> The ideal result is that many of the Beats will be translated into
> English from
> another language (probably mostly French this time), and many of the
> Beats will
> still be translated from English into other languages. We will have
> multiple
> languages on every wiki page, but that's okay. If it's too confusing,
> we can
> choose a better system for future Fedora releases.
For beginning, we can redact a document with one reference language,
it's easier.

> For this first time--especially because the Release Notes must be finished
> soon--we should still take the English version as the "primary"
> version for
> Transifex. But when we move the English Release Notes to Transifex,
> you can
> copy your original from the wiki. Transifex doesn't need to know that
> we wrote
> some sections in French then translated to English!
Ok.
Thank you for yourcomments.

Charles-Antoine Couret