Defensive and secure coding guide: call for renaming files

Christopher Antila crantila at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 25 19:43:25 UTC 2013

Hello:

On 08/25/2013 04:04 AM, Jérôme Fenal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The Defensive and coding guide sports an interesting and forgotten
> feature in its file organization: directories.
> Beyond directories, it also happens to show files having the same name
> (such as Language.xml, found in Python/, Java/, CXX/, C/, etc. or
> schema.xml).
>
> You tell me, that is what directories are for. Fair enough.
>
> The real issue here is that pushing .po resulting from those XML files
> to Transifex which only handles uniquely named resources in a flat
> hierarchy leads to a mess, where there is no predictibility in having
> the Language resource always the same on Transifex, depending how those
> are pushed.
>
> Could it be possible to rename all those files to unique names, ideally
> with the subdir as a prefix (such as CXX-Language.xml or C-schema.xml)
> so that we have unique resource names in Transifex?
>
> Furthermore, could we add a requirement to documentation authors in
> order to ensure that all XML files in their document hierarchy show
> unique names?

This is an interesting problem that the guide's author probably didn't
think of! I'm definitely in favour of renaming these files as a
short-term solution. I suggest that the best long-term solution is to
add a directory-like feature to Transifex. After all, if authors think a
hierarchic information strategy is useful, then translators would
probably also think it's useful.

Another issue: according to the bug Jérôme opened, it looks like Florian
Weimer is the guide owner, but I don't see it in the guides table.[0] So
what's going on here?

Either way, I'd be happy to help rename files, unless anybody objects.

Christopher

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_guides_table