Defensive and secure coding guide: call for renaming files

Dimitris Glezos glezos at transifex.com
Tue Aug 27 16:46:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Petr Bokoc <pbokoc at redhat.com> wrote:
> I understand that it might seem unusual and even counter-productive to split
> translation projects between two separate systems, with this guide being the
> only one being translated elsewhere. See this e-mail in the list archive
> from the guide's previous maintainer explaining the reasons behind the
> decision:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/docs/2013-April/014951.html.

I feel the goalposts are being moved a lot on this. Sparks has created
a simple script -- not sure what issues still exist or what tweaks
need to happen to work perfectly with all Docs. In any case, it'd be
great if all Docs translations could be on one platform (whichever).

> Your e-mail pointed out something that I feel should be addressed though.
> There seems to be some confusion at this point about the Transifex instance.
> Is there a way to somehow mark it as obsolete, make it read-only or just
> hide or even delete it? It doesn't seem like a good decision to keep the
> guide in Transifex and having unsuspecting translators possibly waste their
> time working on an obsolete project.

You can disable the acceptance of translations on the Resource Edit
page. You should simply delete its resources completely though. If
you're not maintaining them, no reason to have them there..

-d

>> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Christopher Antila
>> <crantila at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>>> This is an interesting problem that the guide's author probably didn't
>>> think of! I'm definitely in favour of renaming these files as a
>>> short-term solution. I suggest that the best long-term solution is to
>>> add a directory-like feature to Transifex. After all, if authors think a
>>> hierarchic information strategy is useful, then translators would
>>> probably also think it's useful.
>>>
>>> Another issue: according to the bug Jérôme opened, it looks like Florian
>>> Weimer is the guide owner, but I don't see it in the guides table.[0] So
>>> what's going on here?
>>>
>>> Either way, I'd be happy to help rename files, unless anybody objects.
>>>

>>> Christopher
>>>
>>> [0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_guides_table
>>>
>>> --

> Petr Bokoc (irc: pbokoc)