Self-Introduction

Scott Bicknell sbicknel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 18:55:02 UTC 2013

On Saturday February 9, 2013 1:02 pm Christopher Antila wrote:

> Welcome to the Docs Project!
>
> Most of my previous email applies here too:
> I'm not sure whether you discovered our IRC channel yet (#fedora-docs on
> freenode); if you have, good work! I suggest you attend weekly meetings,
> about which you can find more information here:

I did find the IRC channel and added it to XChat's freenode startup list along
with the #fedora-meeting channel.

> Another common way for new contributors to join in is with the Release
> Notes. Because these are highly sectionalized, you can work on the parts
> that interest you the most. Each section is called a "beat," and you can
> find out more from here:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Documentation_beats

Thanks for the pointer.  I will definitely look there for good starting points.

> I'm not sure you could write documentation specific for former bus drivers,
> but if you're seriously interested in free software graphics applications,
> we have basically no existing documentation for those in Fedora.

As you might imagine, bus drivers I have talked to about Linux have always
scratched their heads and asked why I use it, so perhaps pursuing graphics
application documentation might be better.  I'll have to investigate further.

> In 2010, I wrote the "Musicians' Guide," about music and audio software, and
> I imagine the Fedora Design Team (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design)
> would support your efforts to write a similar document for graphics
> software. As you can imagine, this would be a very large project, but you
> could slowly build the guide over several releases. In fact, you could
> probably even copy existing documentation from other sources, then
> customize it to your preferences and to Fedora's requirements (mostly "how
> to install").

That might be a valuable addition to the documentation.  I'll have a look at
similar guides to get an idea of the scope of such a project.

Scott Bicknell
:wq