grub2 install to partition release notes suggestion

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Fri Jan 4 03:29:41 UTC 2013

On Jan 3, 2013 7:07 PM, "Chris Murphy" <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2013, at 5:52 PM, Pete Travis <me at petetravis.com> wrote:
>

>> > I saw and replied to that thread a while ago; it contains no work
arounds or alternatives to what will be the Fedora 18 boot loader options:
all or none, also known as wipe out existing boot loader, or have an
unbootable system.

>> > I have no doubt this will be seen as a major regression (one I agree
with, but I think how people should connect the dots ought to be
documented). I think work arounds should be documented, other than telling
people to use kickstart.

>> > Chris Murphy
>>
>> Okay, I'm game for improvement.   We can put in a dedicated note to
establish grub expectations.

>> There's a list of things anaconda can't or won't do that might be
fitting in the release notes. I've been deliberately vague in this beat on
such things because I want readers to get a positive impression of newUI
and a bunch of negatives makes that harder. Not impossible, though; I like
the new anaconda.

> I wouldn't so much characterize it as a negative, as much as it's in
conforming with upstream recommendations (or maybe upstream best practices).

> Interestingly, kickstart-configurator appears to have the oldui install
boot loader to a partition option. I don't know if that means it's
"supported"; and also if it makes sense to punt and document merely the
--force flag to use block lists like kickstart and prior anacondas? It's
certainly easier to document, although with a retort from GRUB2 that block
lists aren't recommended.

> And then perhaps change this for F19, by going with documenting the more
stable and recommended approaches (using configfile, multiboot, or kernel).

> Chris Murphy

I don't mean negative in a technical sense, just in presentation. We can
put a positive or negative spin on any change, or lack of it,  it's just
more work than simply stating the facts.  If the reader is repeatedly told
"No, you can't do that," they assume an undesirable connotation of the
topic as a whole.  I'll tackle that once I finish this seemingly endless
trek home from the day job.

How do you feel about a cheerful direction to either put it on the MBR, or
do it yourself? Would that be sufficient, given the level of detail in the
Installation Guide?