F20 Self Contained Change: GLIBC 2.18

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 15:37:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 04:14:22PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On 2013-07-08 7:52, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> >= Proposed Self Contained Change: GLIBC 2.18 =
>
> ?!
>
> A bump of glibc seems like virtually the definition of a system-wide
> change. Sure, it's _intended_ to be transparently compatible with
> 2.17, but we've seen how that goes before.

+1

For most libraries I think that an api-compatible version bump wouldn't need
to even go through the Planning process.  But some things, like glibc, are
depended upon by so many other things that they need to be system-wide
changes so that people can be on the lookout for unexpected problems that it
might cause.

-Toshio