Docs Project Meeting Summary

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Tue Mar 26 06:34:51 UTC 2013

As promised, I'm catching up on sending out meeting summaries. The notes below
will cover the most recent 25 March meeting as well as last week's 18 March
meeting.

- - 18 March 2013 -

We talked about the progress towards changing our publishing platform. It was
generally decided that Rudi had things well in hand, but that we'd like to
know what was going on. Lnovich offered to track him down.

I brought up a thread on devel@ containing a proposal for a help center
desktop application, which you can read at
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-March/180093.html or
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design/Help_Center_Idea . I expressed concern
that unvalidated content from ask.fp.o would take semantic precedence over
curated content from the docs writers, and urged the other members to comment
on the proposal with their own thoughts.

The group graciously accepted nagging about Release Note beats.

jreznik asked us to review his comments on the docs list, and the wiki page
for the changes process. The general feeling has been that we would like help
with raw content, and want developers to know don't expect polish.

The meeting ended a bit late, apologies to the QA team. Zodbot asked us to
read some links as the meeting closed:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2013-03-18/docs_project_agenda_-_http:fedoraproject.orgwikidocs_project_meetings.2013-03-18-14.00.html
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2013-03-18/docs_project_agenda_-_http:fedoraproject.orgwikidocs_project_meetings.2013-03-18-14.00.log.html

- - 25 March 2013 -

The new publishing platform was on the table again. lnovich spoke with Rudi
about it, as did I. The end result will give us a very simple and effective
publishing process that our RH contributors will probably find familiar. If I'm
recalling it correctly, some magic of publican and git combines to allow us to
publish a single translation of a document with a single command, nicely
wrapping up the RPM packaging process, building in git, and installing to
production in one go.

rbergeron stopped by, and we touched on the Changes/Feature process. [ I'm
still not sure of the appropriate name for it! ]  We need to make a point to
validate the information we pull out of the Feature pages into the beats at
each release stage, because the former is dynamic and the latter has  been...
less dynamic.

shaiton valiantly volunteered to clean up the duplicate language teams on
transifex.  It looks like much of that has been completed by the time I sat
down to write the summary - thanks shaiton!

The logs are available for your review at:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2013-03-25/fedora_docs.2013-03-25-14.01.html
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2013-03-25/fedora_docs.2013-03-25-14.01.log.html

 - Afterthoughts -
If you can't make it to the meeting, please use the list!
- --
- -- Pete Travis
 - Fedora Docs Project Leader
 - 'randomuser' on freenode