Lowering the participation barrier for Fedora Docs

Leslie S Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 12 01:22:07 UTC 2013

 Hi Pete
Your blog below was quite appropriate.  I work in aerospace and do a fair amount
of writing and software development.  The editing department here is also a translation
department as the company is a global one, dealing with Chinese, Indian dialects, French, Spanish,
and a slew of UN national languages.  The translators want paragraphs of text. The English editor wants
text delivered double spaced 12 size font, with revision management enabled and comments enabled.
The company uses MS word, but Libreoffice, (for Fedora's purpose), would suffice.

By allowing authors to use Libreoffice, along with Libreoffice's revision management, I believe that a quality
product and a more easily and accurately translated source would be generated.

Regarding installations, and expositories,  there are varying levels of expertise as Fedora users. Many users,
from my use of  forums is that they are more frequented by are beginners. They want a working Fedora distribution,
so that they may use the tools that are included. (from workbenches, to business software).  I would say that the
more experienced individuals do not frequent the forums too often, as "they know it all, and what can they learn?"

Your ideas are great, I fully agree with them, but "when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".
My view is that the tool you are using, with po files, is great for application code messages. It misses something when
used as the documentation preparation tool.

Can you please try this experiment. Are you able to ask an author to write his stuff with Libreoffice, and then turn on revision managment to  send out his work for comments and feedback. Lets see how that works. I would even take a page or two of text, if it is handed to me that way.

Libreoffice is not a barrier, since is is ubiquitous.
Regards

Leslie

Subject: Lowering the participation barrier for Fedora Docs