Lowering the participation barrier for Fedora Docs

Shaun McCance shaunm at gnome.org
Mon Nov 18 16:39:57 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-11-16 at 19:21 -0500, Christopher Antila wrote:
> - - There is a significant barrier to entry. DocBook is clumsy at first, and
> writing XML markup by hand is always a pain (maybe I'm just not using the
> right tools). As far as I know, the only way to preview the final output is by
> actually making the final output, so DocBook needs a bit of imagination.

Yelp renders DocBook on the fly. If you're running GNOME, it's already
installed. Auto-reload isn't currently hooked up for DocBook (it is for
Mallard), but that's fixable.

Of course, Yelp's rendering will differ from Publican's, so you'll want
to use Publican for final proofing. But putting Yelp and a text editor
side-by-side is a nice way to see a preview of what you're writing.

--
Shaun