Lowering the participation barrier for Fedora Docs

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Mon Nov 18 23:53:46 UTC 2013

On 11/16/2013 05:21 PM, Christopher Antila wrote:
> Hi:
>
> It seems to me that there are two things going on here:
>
> 1.) Many of us feel we aren't doing things as well as we could be.
> 2.) Many of us like our current tools.
>
> Let's ask ourselves "why" for both of those questions. Answers to the
> first
> question will help us describe our problem, and to the second will
> help us
> avoid repeating mistakes. This is my email, so I'll start.
>
> Areas We Could Improve:
> -----------------------
>
> - There is a significant barrier to entry. DocBook is clumsy at first,
> and
> writing XML markup by hand is always a pain (maybe I'm just not using the
> right tools). As far as I know, the only way to preview the final
> output is by
> actually making the final output, so DocBook needs a bit of
> imagination. Plus,
> Git is not user-friendly software and most of the documentation out there
> targets people who are confident on the command-line.
>
> - The fact we try to release Guides at the same time as big Fedora
> release can
> be very silly. The Release Notes and Installation Guide should
> obviously be
> tied to a release, but many of the other Guides need not be. In fact,
> for the
> Musicians' Guide, being attached to releases is counter-productive, since
> audio software tends to be updated as soon as it's available, but the
> Docs
> policy of waiting for a release discourages me from updating the Guide
> when
> new software is published mid-release. Further, the fact I know there are
> outdated sections discourages me from publishing for a new release:
> it's why I
> didn't publish the MusGuide for Fedora 17 and 19. But again, the
> Fedora 16
> Guide became outdated at some point between the release of 16 and 17,
> meaning
> even the properly-numbered Guide for Fedora 16 was outdated for more
> than half
> of its apparent lifetime.
>
> - Searching through the Guides is very difficult. Usually, you have to
> know that
> something is there, or at least think to go looking through the
> Guides, before
> it's possibly useful. Does Fedora have documentation for GRUB2? I
> don't know,
> but I'd have to go looking through multiple Guides' Table of Contents;
> it's
> easier to just check out the Arch wiki, and figure out differences as
> they
> appear.
>
> - Every distribution's documentation has its stengths and weaknesses. We
> should be trying to help, and to seek help from, these other
> distributions.
> [...]
First off, I feel obligated to point out that you've very nearly written
your post in functional ReStructuredText!  Okay, moving on...

The idea of accepting contributions in varying formats then converting
them for publishing is definitely worth investigating.  Let's add
"Identify formats that can be converted to DocBook with fedora-shipped
tools" to the list!

The idea of rolling release documentation is growing on me, as I
consider it.  There's no reason to hold back from publishing something
as soon as the feature hits the repos. If we work with a continuous
release model we'll ship updates to Guides that lag behind release date
instead of waiting for the next release.  If we're coordinating
efforts,  it might be more intuitive to focus effort on features than
release number as well.  I wonder if we can get something like this:

docs.fedoraproject.org
-----------------------------------
- Fedora Documentation
    -- Fedora 20 Release Notes
    -- Fedora 20 Installation Guide
    -- System Administrator's Guide # continuous release
    -- Burning ISO Images to Disc # continuous release
    -- etc...
- Legacy Fedora Documentation
    -- Everything that isn't continuous release or that is targeted to
an EOL release
- etc...

--
-- Pete Travis