Fwd: Fedora 20 Beta Release Announcement Draft

Leslie S Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 17 01:21:46 UTC 2013

Hi Pete,
Well, I took my trusty LibreOfficewriter and did a markup of the aforementioned first draft.   To the group, please review my comments. The changes may appear trivial, but they are to make the document more precise and more readable.
In case the attachment is stripped due to email processing, here it is inline.  Sorry to do the attachment inline.  I did  not want to file a bugzilla report .  Changes or comments are in yellow.

Regards

 Leslie

Mr. Leslie Satenstein

 What is the Beta Release?
The beta release is the last important milestone before the
release of Fedora 20. A Beta release is code-complete and bears a
very strong resemblance to the third and final release. Only critical
bug fixes will be pushed as updates up to the general release of
Fedora 20. The final release of Fedora 20 is expected in early December.
If you do not as yet have a
copy, here is where you go to fetch one.

We need your help to make Fedora 20 the best release yet, so
please take some time to download and try out the beta and make sure
the things that are important to you are working. If you find a bug, please
report it – every bug you uncover is a chance to improve the
experience for millions of Fedora users worldwide. Together, we can make Fedora 20 a rock-solid
distribution. We have a culture of coordinating new features and
pushing fixes upstream as much as feasible and your feedback will help improve not only
Fedora but Linux and free software on the whole. (See the
end of this announcement for more information on how to help.)
Are
you sure there are millions?

10
Years of Fedora
The Fedora 20 release coincides nicely with the 10th anniversary
of Fedora. The first Fedora release (then called Fedora Core 1) came
out on November 6, 2003.
Since then, the Fedora Project has become an active and vibrant
community that produces nearly
a dozen "spins" (A
spin is a specially assembled version of Fedora. Refer
to the Spin topic below for more info ) that are tailor made for desktop
users, hardware design, gaming, musicians, artists, and early
classroom environments.

For
non Fedora users or first time readers, it is good idea to explain
of what constitutes a spin Refer them to the Spin Paragraph/section.

ARM
as a Primary Architecture
While Fedora has supported a number of hardware architectures over
the years, x86/x86_64 has been the default for the majority of Fedora
users and for the Linux community in general.
ARM, however, has been making massive technological strides as a computer hardware
architecture. It
already dominates the mobile market, and is becoming a go-to platform
for hobbyists and makers, and is showing enormous promise for the server market as well.
In keeping with Fedora's commitment to innovation, the Fedora
community has been pushing
to make ARM a primary architecture to satisfy the needs of users
and developers targeting the ARM platform.
Please qualify what you mean
by “and makers”. Do you mean and computer hardware makers?

NetworkManager
Improvements
NetworkManager is getting several improvements in Fedora 20 that
will be welcome additions for power users and system administrators.
Users will now be able to add,
edit, delete, activate, and de-activate network connections via the
nmcli command
line tool, which will make life much easier for non-desktop uses
of Fedora.
Please
remove“now” as
it is superfluous.
NetworkManager is also getting support for bonding
interfaces and bridging
interfaces. Bonding and bridging are used in many enterprise
setups and are necessary for virtualization and fail-over scenarios.

No
Default Sendmail, Syslog
Fedora 20 removes some services that many users find unnecessary,
though (of course) they will remain available as installable packages
for users who might need them.
The systemd
journal now
takes the place as the default logging solution, having been
tested and able to manage persistent logging in place of syslog.

Consider rephrasing to..

The systemd
journal assumes
the roleas the default logging solution, having been tested and able to
manage persistent logging in place of syslog.
Also, Sendmail
will no longer be installed by default, as most Fedora installs
have no need of a Mail Transfer Agent (MTA).

 OS Installer Support for LVM
Thin Provisioning
LVM
has introduced thin provisioning technology, which provides
greatly improved snapshot functionality in addition to thin
provisioning capability. Thislvm change will make it possible to configure thin
provisioning during OS installation.
Please
add lvm (without bolding) between "This will" so that This refers to lvm and not
the “improved snapshot functionality” or do you mean both
changes. In that case put These changes will make it possible to.....

VM
Snapshot UI with virt-manager
This
change will make taking VM snapshots much easier. qemu and
libvirt have all the major pieces in place for performing safe VM
snapshots/checkpoints, however there isn't any simple discoverable
UI. This feature will track adding that UI to virt-manager, and any
other virt stack bits that need to be fixed/improved. This includes
adding functionality to libvirt to support deleting and re-basing to external snapshots.
Is
it a change or a new feature? And if it is a change, what is the
change? Note. Here you got it right as... after “This” you included
“feature”.
Rebasing -->re-basing.

Developer Goodies.
Should the list of goodies be
indented to show all of what Goodies includes?

Note
on performance
Fedora development releases use a kernel with extra debug information to help us understand and resolve issues
faster; however, this can have a significant impact on performance.
Refer to the
kernel debug strategy for more details. You can boot with
slub_debug=- or use the kernel from nodebug repository to disable the
extra debug info.

Replace “with” with the word
“containing”.  The debug information is not next to the kernel,
it is within the kernel.

 Issues and Details
Heisenbug Alpha is a
testing release. To report issues encountered during testing, contact
the Fedora QA team via the test mailing list or in #fedora-qa on freenode.
As testing progresses, common issues are tracked at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F20_bugs
For tips on reporting a bug effectively, read http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_file_a_bug_report .
Ḑon't
you mean Heisenburg Beta.

The changes in this text are slightly more recent than the attached document.