Self-Introduction: Edith Rivero

Jaromir Hradilek jhradile at redhat.com
Wed Oct 23 19:35:41 UTC 2013

Hello Edith,

Welcome aboard! As you probably know, all our documentation is located here:

   http://docs.fedoraproject.org/

You can also find a more or less complete list of books we maintain on
this page:

   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_guides_table

All our books are written in DocBook 4.5 XML language. I can see that
you already have some experience with XML, which should make it easier
for you to learn this language. I have this book in my bookmarks:

   http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/docbook.html

This book is really great and very helpful when you need to find
documentation for a particular XML element, but it can also be
unnecessarily scary: DocBook has a lot of elements, but in real life,
you don't need to know them all by heart. Instead of reading this book
from cover to cover, you might want to take a look at the source code of
some of our books.

Since you mentioned information security, you can type the following at
a shell prompt to get access to the latest development version of the
Security Guide (make sure you have the git package installed):

   git clone http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/securityguide.git

This creates a directory named securityguide in your current working
directory; the XML sources are located in the securityguide/en-US/
directory. To build the HTML version of this book, make sure that you
have the publican and publican-fedora packages installed and run the
following command from the "securityguide" directory:

   publican build --langs en-US --formats html-single

Then open the tmp/en-US/html-single/index.html in your favorite web
browser. Of course, Publican can do much more:

http://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/en-US/Publican/3.2/html/Users_Guide/index.html

And if you don't feel like reading the whole thing, you can take a look
at my slides from the Developer Conference in Brno:

   http://www.blackened.cz/tmp/devconf2013.pdf

Of course, if you have any questions or if you just want to say hello,
you can find us all on FreeNode, channel #fedora-docs.

Cheers,
Jaromir

--
Jaromir Hradilek