Working on bugs

Simon Clark sclark at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 29 21:24:24 UTC 2014

Hello,

I saw from this week's Docs Meeting logs that there was a discussion
about the number of open bugs in BZ.  I would like to help reduce this
number but first I would welcome some guidance about the etiquette
around picking bugs to work on.  I have read the wiki page Fixing
Documentation Bugs [1] and it says I should choose a bug, assign it to
myself and update its status to ASSIGNED.  Almost all of the open Fedora
documentation bugs list a named Assignee, even those with status NEW and
not ASSIGNED.  Does BZ automatically list an Assignee for new bugs,
based on the Product and Component?  Is it OK to assign to myself any
bug ticket with status NEW?  What are the accepted practices here?

Thanks,
Simon

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fixing_documentation_bugs