documentation for translation

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Wed Aug 20 18:55:01 UTC 2014

On Aug 20, 2014 8:32 AM, "Petr Kovar" <pkovar at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 15:18:12 +1000
> Noriko Mizumoto <noriko at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > (2014年08月19日 22:22), Petr Kovar wrote:
> > > Hi Noriko and guide owners,
> > >
> > > It seems the list of guide owners in the spreadsheet was taken
directly from
> > > the data stored in Tx. The data there does not necessarily reflect
> > > who is the actual guide owner/maintainer. You can find a more
up-to-date
> > > list at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_guides_table
> >
> > OH, indeed, you are right.
> > I've updated the list to reflect. Now a couple of guides taken from Tx
> > data are not listed in the table provided. Could you mind to check if
>
> Thanks for pointing that out. In theory, the table should list all of our
> guides so I guess we will have to update the table quite a bit as that's
> essentially the only resource we have to track our docs projects.
Anyway...

> > they are still active? If so, advise correct owner?
> >
> > * anaconda-addon-development-guide
>
> Not sure about this one. Anyone?
>
> > * Community Services Infrastructure Security Policy
> > * Defensive Coding Guide
>
> Eric?
>
> > * Fedora Cookbook
>
> Pete?

There is not a lot of content here, yet, so pushing POTs hasn't been a
priority.  I do want it translated eventually.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_old_guides
> so I don't think we want to migrate them. Please correct me if I'm wrong
> and they are not dead.
>
> > * Fedora Respin Guide
>
> Not sure. Does anyone know more about this one?
>
> > * Fedora RPM Guide
>
> This guide is pretty much dead. Not sure if we want to preserve the
> existing translations and add them to translation memory, for example.
> Thoughts?
>
> https://fedora.transifex.com/projects/p/fedora-rpm-guide/
>
> > * Fedora Selinux FAQ
> > * Fedora Selinux Guide
>
> These are listed on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_old_guides
>
> > * FreeIPA Management Guide
>
> This one is listed as FreeIPAGuide in the table and seems to be
maintained.

> > * rdo docs
>
> No idea. Anyone?
>

> > > Note that the table also includes links to individual Tx projects, I
think
> > > pretty much all of them are good candidates for migration to Zanata.
Again,
> > > some of them may not be included in the Fedora Project hub in Tx.
Others
> > > are already hosted in Zanata on translate.zanata.org, e.g. the
> > > Installation Guide.
> >
> > Ok, thanks. It seems that the move will be smoother.
> > Please notice that guides on translate.zanata still require to move to
> > fedora.zanata instance. But documentation and support will be provided
> > by zanata team, and I believe that the move would be smooth and easy.
>
> Sounds good. The projects hosted in Zanata that I could find are:
>
> https://translate.zanata.org/zanata/project/view/publican-common
> https://translate.zanata.org/zanata/project/view/publican-fedora
> https://translate.zanata.org/zanata/project/view/fedora-installation-guide
>

> > > Guide owners, could you please check the information in the table and
make
> > > any necessary changes for your guides?
> > >
> > > Just thinking loud here... I guess our guide table - FAS writer
accounts
> > > will require some manual mapping if we want to have all the owners
> > > assigned to their guides during the migration. Or we could first
assign all
> > > the guides to a number of delegated owners, and then reassign to
individual
> > > guide owners once the migration is complete. Your thoughts?
> >
> > Thank you so much for your offer!
> > Yes, it would be great if you can have a few delegated owners.
>
> Great. I can certainly help out with that. Any other volunteers?
>
> Cheers,
> pk
> --

Generally speaking, I think Docs is aware of this migration and following
along.  My plan for the guides I maintain has been that when the time comes
to push strings for translation,  I put them where the translators are
working at that time.

For 'owners' - what do we think about using the 'docs-writers' or
'docs-publishers' groups? Will zanata talk to FAS this way?

--Pete