Firewalld

Dylan Combs dylan.combs at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 20:23:39 UTC 2014

Well, I think both Stephen and Pete bring up good points.  Stephen mentions
the manageability of smaller guides but cautions against duplication of
content across multiple guides and suggests deep linking to help with
that.  Pete is concerned with the formats which would be used to
accommodate such a system as the one I was suggesting.

What we need is a Docs workflow that allows us to address both concerns.
We need modular documentation so that we do not duplicate content.  As
biologists seek to form natural groups in taxonomy (since they are stable
and predictable), we should do the same with our documentation; allowing
our content to develop in a structure which mirrors that of the software
used by Fedora will mean our documentation is created in units which have
predictable, stable boundaries (such as firewalld constituting a unit
rather than "Networking," whose boundaries and concepts will change as the
various underlying technologies go through their own often independent
changes).

It's much more manageable to document software packages, managing changes
to the documentation at that level, and then create guides which link those
modules of content together in pathways significant to the users.  To take
Pete's example of a web server configuration, a guide could be written
which would lay out the theoretical work to be done (configuring the
firewall, configuring the web application, configuring the mandatory access
control scheme) and the sections which explain the particular methods by
which one accomplishes those theoretical workloads can be deeply linked to
the content modules which describe the technologies currently used to
support those theoretical needs.

Now, with respect to Pete's point about documentation formatting, this
structure would lend itself to a workflow wherein the content modules are
supported most directly by the community via, perhaps, a wiki.  This likely
maximizes our harvest of community productivity (communities are good at
filling in explicit, testable, practical information) while reserving the
theoretical work for the Docs group (communities aren't necessarily as good
at filling that stuff in).  If we can put up a wiki with formatting which
easily (and hopefully, entirely automatically) converts to our current
documentation formats, and if the modular content is internally well
segmented, our guides can scoop up the content they need from the wiki at
the time of compilation.

My technical knowledge of the documentation platforms in use here is sadly
low, but it seems like it ought to be possible to have a wiki with
formatting guidelines that render the content modules ready for
assimilation into a guide.  Perhaps the Docs group could stub out the
sections in the wiki so that we have the structure we need in place and
then open up those sections to the general public for modification
(moderating as necessary, of course).

This seems like it might solve a lot of problems at once.  I know we should
be wary of huge unwieldy changes, but setting up a workflow to maximize
community participation while simultaneously reducing administrative
overhead and devoting those administrative resources to proper shepherding
of said community participation might give us an environment in which the
basic components of our documentation receive the dynamic attention
necessary to keep pace while the higher-level guides can be constructed
more easily and on demand, as the need for the guide (say, someone's desire
to make a website) arises.  If the platform is stable enough, high-level
documentation can be quickly regenerated to gather up the updates provided
from various communities (like those maintaining firewalld, Apache web
server, and SE Linux documentation) which might otherwise remain
disconnected and require a lot of administrative overhead just to get the
necessary communication going.

In short:  centralized, modular, community-supported base of documentation
combined with automated harvesting and gathering into higher-level
documentation which can be readily constructed and compiled on-demand.

If that sounds good to others, I guess the real question is still Pete's:
do we have features in our current documentation systems which will allow
for this, or do we need to find other systems, or is this too difficult to
orchestrate / how do we proceed from here?

-Dylan