Firewalld

Stephen Wadeley swadeley at redhat.com
Wed Aug 27 06:53:21 UTC 2014

On 08/27/2014 03:56 AM, Eric H. Christensen wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 09:33:55PM +0200, Stephen Wadeley wrote:
>> I did write to Sparks in 2013 (05/24/2013) suggesting it might be of use in
>> the Fedora Security Guide. There have been some updates since then. I could
>> link to that from the Networking Guide if Sparks would like that.
>
> Linking between guides could work but I wonder about breakages later on.

Links can be checked with scripts, so deep linking, i.e. linking direct
to the relevant section, is actually better than saying "look in that
guide over there" as when someone moves or renames a section or chapter
the scripts can tell you.

   How about this.  Firewalls (firewalld and iptables and ip6tables) are
a pretty interesting topic that could be used as a test case.  Why don't
we pull what's in the Security Guide (and other guides) into a smaller
guide (an article?) that specifically talks about firewalls in Linux.
We can pull in existing translations and kick the thing out the door.
If this is received well we can start doing that for other topics as
well.  If it's not received well we can just pull the XML files back
into the security guide (or wherever) and we're not out anything.

>> Its easier for me if the Networking and Sys Admin Guides are similar to the
>> RHEL versions, but having an extra chapter or two, or less, is OK. So I am
>> not completely against having the firewalld chapter in the NG.
>
> I suspect there really won't be much difference between the two guides.  Really, there shouldn't be.
>
> If you like, I'll add it to my list of stuff to look at (right after Common Criteria (don't ask)).
>
> - -- Eric
>
> - --------------------------------------------------
> Eric "Sparks" Christensen
> Fedora Project
>
> sparks at fedoraproject.org - sparks at redhat.com
> 097C 82C3 52DF C64A 50C2  E3A3 8076 ABDE 024B B3D1

Regards
Stephen

--
Stephen Wadeley