Release notes have a launcher - maybe we should remove that

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 29 13:26:27 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Pete Travis <lists at petetravis.com> wrote:
> This seems like [another] case of "we want to show all available desktop
> files without filters, but that looks cluttered, so all other packages
> should change so we don't have to add filters."  I appreciate the work
> you're putting into the details on the default install, really, but as has
> often been pointed out it will be really easy to gain that clutter back with
> Software.   Two things can change here; *all* packages shipping desktop
> files, or the *one* displaying them.

If your criticism can't be constructive, don't say anything.

> That said, users *should* have Release Notes, by default, offline, and
> discoverable.  Fedora changes a lot between releases, and I sincerely
> believe that taking the extra measures to expose users to this documentation
> helps alleviate frustration and prevents dissatisfaction when something
> doesn't work as expected.  What seems obvious in context isn't always so
> apparent to those on the outside of your process.  A measurable portion of
> users will look for the reasoning and recommended remedies for unexpected
> things they encounter.

No other operation system comes with the release notes bundled with
the OS. This is not really a thing users *expect*.

> Not everyone will simply think "oh, I can install that firewall config tool
> with Software, I'm just going to accept that and not question it or look for
> more information."  Some will look for RNs, some will look for speculative
> forum posts, some will look for blog posts, and some will look for *you* to
> *personally justify* your actions.  Our goal is to provide all of these
> people the information they need to understand the behavior they encounter
> and achieve the behavior they want.  It's a service provided by the Docs
> team to both users *and* developers.  The benefits outweigh the pain of
> having an icon that you aren't that interested in.

I don't understand what's the problem with having the release notes
available on the web and linked to in the download page and in the
support page.

> As a maintainer of that package, I'd welcome specific suggestions or
> requests to improve presentation.

Few options:
* Instead of installing a launcher, make it available in
gnome-documents or yelp. You can separate the launcher to a subpackage
for desktops that don't care about the application model or having a
consistent user experience.
* Do nothing. We can exclude the release notes from the Workstation
media. It will still be available in the web.

--
-Elad Alfassa.