Unversioned docdirs task

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Sun Feb 23 21:30:04 UTC 2014

On Feb 23, 2014 12:56 PM, "Simon Clark" <sclark at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 23 February 2014 18:39, Pete Travis <me at petetravis.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/23/2014 09:48 AM, Simon Clark wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> As one of the new members of the docs project, I took on the
unversioned docdirs task (see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/UnversionedDocdirs ) to get me
started.  I have now been through all the guides in the guides table on the
wiki and submitted patches where changes were needed.  I suggest that the
task can now be considered complete.

>>> Thank you to everyone that provided feedback and encouragement.
>>>
>>> The full list of my findings is below.  I sent patches to this list
until someone pointed out that it was better to use Bugzilla.

>>> Simon
>>>
>>> Patches submitted to the mailing list:
>>> amateur-radio-guide: Patches submitted 2014-01-22.
>>> install-guide: Patch submitted 2014-01-04.
>>> musicians-guide: Patches submitted 2014-01-28.
>>> packagers-guide: Patches submitted 2014-01-31.
>>> securityguide: Patches submitted 2014-01-31.
>>> software-management-guide: Patches submitted 2014-02-01.
>>> storage-administration-guide: Patches submitted 2014-02-01.
>>>
>>> Patches submitted to Bugzilla:
>>> system-administrators-guide: Patches submitted 2014-02-16.
>>> virtualization-deployment-and-administration-guide: Patches submitted
2014-02-22.

>>> No changes necessary:
>>> accessiblity-guide: Checked 2014-01-07.
>>> readme-burning-isos: Checked 2014-01-23.
>>> cloud-guide: Checked 2014-01-23.
>>> documentation-guide: Checked 2014-01-23.
>>> election-guide: Checked 2014-01-23.
>>> freeipa-guide: Checked 2014-01-23.
>>> multiboot-guide: Checked 2014-01-28.
>>> openssh-guide: Checked 2014-01-28.
>>> power-management-guide: Checked 2014-01-31.
>>> release-notes: Chaecked 2014-01-31.
>>> resource-management-guide: Checked 2014-01-31.
>>> software-collections-guide: Checked 2014-02-01.
>>> technical-notes: Checked 2014-02-16.
>>> uefi-secure-boot-guide: Checked 2014-02-16.
>>> virtualization-getting-started-guide: Checked 2014-02-23.
>>> virtualization-security-guide: Checked 2014-02-23.
>>> wirelessguide: Checked 2014-02-23.
>>>

>> Great work, Simon, thanks! The summary will be a lot of help too, in
making sure we don't miss anything :)

>> Since you clearly have a good handle on git, I've sponsored you into the
docs-writers FAS group. In a few minutes, you should be able to commit
directly. Welcome, and thanks for your work!

>> --
>> -- Pete Travis
>>  - Fedora Docs Project Leader
>>  - 'randomuser' on freenode
>>  - immanetize at fedoraproject.org
>>

>> --
>

> Thanks for sponsoring me into docs-writers, Pete.  It is now showing in
FAS.

> Since joining the Docs Project I have learned git's clone, branch, commit
and format-patch sequence.  I can see from the git documentation that there
is more than one workflow option for distributed users with commit
permissions to manage changes.  Does the Docs Project have a preferred
workflow or is it best to contact the lead for each guide to find out how
they would like to receive changes?

> Simon
>
> --

Good question! It is generally a good idea to check in with guide owners.
If the change is small and apparent, like with the docdirs thing or minor
bugs, there's more room for initiative.  If the change is comprehensive,
coordination will be more important.

We should probably add some guidelines to the Documentation Guide along
these lines.  The situation can vary with the guide an circumstances.  The
Sysadmin Guide owner generally welcomes direct contributions, but they are
working on pulling in content from other sources and splitting networking
stuff into a Networking Guide.  The multiboot guide is in initial
development, so a free-for-all at the moment.  Anything cited in a guide's
wishlist - which I'm reminding myself again to add to the guide table - is
probably fair game.

So the general suggestion is to use your judgement, and ask via list, bz,
or irc when in doubt. If a guide owner has more specific preferences, we
should probably put them in the wishlists.

--Pete