Anaconda Addon Development Guide

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Wed Jan 15 16:13:33 UTC 2014

On 01/15/2014 04:53 AM, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> my name is Vratislav Podzimek and I am a member of the Anaconda
> installer team. The Anaconda installer now supports third-party
> extensions called addons and I have written a guide for implementation,
> deployment and testing of such addon.
>
> Now I would like this guide to be included as part of the official
> Fedora project documentation suite. Could anyone please tell me which
> steps are needed for that to happen?
>
> The guide is here:
> http://vpodzime.fedorapeople.org/anaconda-addon-development-guide/
>
> with the sources here:
> https://github.com/vpodzime/anaconda-addon-development-guide
>
> Thanks,

Hi Vratislav!  This guide looks very interesting, and it is great that
you would like to share it with us. Thanks!

Our path here should be this:
1.a We need to get you into the appropriate docs FAS groups. General
membership is in "docs", general commit access in "docs-writers", and
publishing access in "docs-publishers". As a guide owner and experienced
writer, I'm comfortable sponsoring you for all three. Tell us your FAS
ID so we can sponsor you - and use your powers wisely :)
1.b - Many of the Fedora Docs processes are detailed in our
Documentation Guide[1].  It has been a work in progress for some time,
but still helpful.  That is a polite way of saying that it *really needs
a refresh*.  It would be a big help if you could reference the version
in git[1] instead of at docs.fp.o.  If you find something missing,
confusing, outdated, or incorrect you can fix it or just complain in a
bug or mail - your perspective as a new participant is valuable feedback.

2. Open a trac ticket[2] with infra for a fedorahosted git repo and
bugzilla component to be created for the guide. Skip the git portion of
the wiki page; once the new repo is available, I *think* you should be
able to just `git remote add foo` and push to fedorahosted. The ticket
should also specify that commit traffic go to
docs-commits at lists.fedoraproject.org .

3.  Once the content is in a shared space, we can do some peer review.
Your content looks great, and we have some very experienced technical
writers that can help improve presentation and structure.

4.  After review, set up a Project for the guide on Transifex so that
Fedora's l10n team can translate it.  The source language needs to be
en-US and iirc someone needs to add the new project to the Fedora
organization.  We can go over the details on this when the time comes.

5.  Optionally, you could create a wiki page to guide potential
contributors to your Guide. You could them know what you plan to work
on, where you would like help, where you don't want the scope to creep
to, or how to contact you to plan new sections.

6.  Keep in touch! There are docs people around the world and clock that
can help you on your way. You can find us here on the list, or in
#fedora-docs .

[1] https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/docs/documentation-guide.git
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Creating_a_new_guide

--