Software Administration Guide and "forbidden content"

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Sun Jan 26 20:55:46 UTC 2014

On 01/26/2014 01:36 PM, Christopher Antila wrote:
> On 23 January 2014 11:18:01 Pete Travis wrote:
> > Hi Guillermo,
>
> > I came home last night and was met with a request on IRC from nb to
> remove
> > content referencing rpmfusion from the F14 Software Administration and
> > Musicians Guide. He was tasked to this by spot/Fedora Legal via IRC as
> > well, probably precipitated by the discussion on advisory-board@ .
>
> > I thought a bit about the legal implications and the potential publicity
> > fallout of an engaged debate over our content, and in a knee-jerk
> reaction,
> > removed references to rpmfusion from web.git. Nick had prepped a
> patch for
> > the Musicians Guide that I merged forward. The Storage
> Administration Guide
> > clearly needed more work, and I unpublished it from F14 forward for now.
>
> > So, I would like your thoughts on how to move forward. I can
> probably apply
> > some regex to substitute nonfunctional example repos, but my Spanish is
> > laughable at best.  I would like to work with you to resolve the
> immediate
> > issue as best as we can.  The same goes for the Musicians Guide.
>
> > The greater question and its handling is a little distasteful,
> though.  I
> > dislike the communication through back channels and PMs, there has been
> > nothing like a policy declaration from Fedora Legal, and I'm continuing
> > that by changing content and mailing privately myself.  As much as I
> > believe in open communication,  I really don't want to see some tech
> > journalist or blogger pushing vitriolic headlines [...].  It seems
> better
> > to deal with the immediate issue quickly and quietly, then have an open
> > discussion on general policy once that work is done.
>
> > Again, I apologize for yanking your work off docs.fp.o .  I do want
> to make
> > it right.
>
> > --Pete
>
> I feel this has been more than *a little* distasteful. There are so
> many small
> things that could have been done differently to make this event more
> palatable.
> At minimum, the authors of affected guides could have been notified
> just before
> changes were made. A little better, the docs@ list should have been
> notified.
> Better still, we could have been given some length of time to remove the
> content ourselves.
>
> As it is, at least in the Musicians' Guide, you didn't do a very good
> job (or
> "spot missed a spot"). The chapter called "Planet CCRMA at Home" is
> about a
> third-party repository. The Qtractor chapter still refers to
> RPMFusion, and
> it's probably not the only one. Furthermore, as I previously
> mentioned, the
> [...]

The reaction from you and Eric here is one I will learn from. I do
believe in open communication on these things, from start to finish.
In the future, we should ( and I will ) insist on bugs filed against
anything with legal complaints. It is obvious in retrospect, and I am
suitably embarrassed. I hope you can forgive my panic  :)

Moving forward, I would of course like to help with the content as
needed.  I won't barge into your Guide and start making changes on my
own, but do feel free to give me homework, create and assign bugs, whatever.

--
-- Pete Travis
 - Fedora Docs Project Leader
 - immanetize at fedoraproject.org