RFC: docs website layout demo

Jeffrey Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 21:40:49 UTC 2014

Hi Paul,

----- Original Message -----
> [...]
> > > instructions.
> > >
> > > It needs tweaks to docsite-publican, hope to get those committed soon.
> > >
> > > It also needs Fedora_Splash which contains the blurb on the Fedora
> > > products page and the groupings, not sure what to do about that.
> > >
> > > It will still work without those things, it just won't look exactly
> > > the same.

> > > want to sign up for that site!
> > >
> > > Cheers, Jeff.
> > >
> > > 1: https://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/fdocs/rebuild_site.sh
> > >
> > Hey Jeff,
> >
> > I'm exited to see your interest in our Publican site.  We've been trying
> > to build a system with publican-created src.rpms built by koji, and
> > installed to a virtual machine.  The infrastructure part has gone fairly
> > well; any package we push out is automatically installed and the site
> > updated.
> >
> > The part of the process I've really struggled with is the interaction
> > between the branding, the table of contents stuff, the landing page, the
> > splash (which I wasn't aware of as a discrete document type,) the CSS
> > applied to the toc/landing page/splash, the spec file templates used for
> > landing pages or docs or sites or splashes, the publican.cfg for the
> > landing page or the site settings... well, I'll just say every time I
> > try to work on it, I get lost.  I realize that's a very non-specific
> > problem description, but after hours of working with the existing site,
> > with CSS that people on our team worked out, or just starting a publican
> > site from scratch following your user guide, I don't feel like I'm at
> > the point of even intelligently asking for help.
> >
> > rkratky and yruseva worked up CSS for a web_style=2 site that I rather
> > like, at
> > https://rkratky.fedorapeople.org/docsweb/mockup/en-US/index.html .  I
> > really like elements from your demo too, like the secondary categories
> > and the format selection icons (although replicating the Adobe logo for
> > PDFs probably should go :P ).  The social media things at the bottom are
> > intriguing; our marketing team would probably like to explore the
> > potential there.
> >
> > Ideally, I'd like to have all of the components and docs we need tagged
> > into the el6-docs repo, and the site would rebuild by simply installing
> > all the Publican document packages available on a clean virtual
> > machine.  Can you help us put all these pieces together into a
> > replicatable site, or at least talk me through some stumbling blocks
> > sometime?
>
> Optimally, the Fedora Docs site should have the same look and feel
> that the Design team is doing for other Fedora websites.
>
>  Ryan Lerch
> has been working on an implementation of bootstrap that would unify
> all our Fedora sites/subdomains.  It would be great to see the Docs
> site both use that theme, and also have the docs-specific features
> rkratky, jfearn, et al. are interested to provide.

Ryan is responsible for a reasonable amount of the styling and structure of publican websites and is familiar with the template system it's uses, so it should be doable.

How much work it is depends on how different the style is and how intrusive it needs to be to get it done. e.g. getting publican integrated with the Red Hat portal was a huge investment.

Of course if Ryan wants to avoid all that nasty integration work and wanted to redo the common theme from scratch using bootstrap, so that FDocs only needs some minor tweaking, I'd "begrudgingly" accept that :D

> cc'ing rlerch and mattdm for awareness since I'm not sure either of
> them is on the Docs list.

Cheers, Jeff.