what is the current state of docker on fedora documentation?

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Sun Aug 9 21:42:51 UTC 2015

> On Sun, 9 Aug 2015, Pete Travis wrote:
>

>> On Aug 9, 2015 2:55 AM, "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>>>

>>>   hi, i'm currently writing a course on docker (specifically, docker
>>> on fedora, FWIW), and i'm looking for the current state of docker
>>> documentation on fedora, whatever that might be.
>>>
>>>   a quick google for "fedora" and "docker" brings one here:
>>>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_docker
>>>
>>> but that wiki page is clearly out of date as it refers to the fedora
>>> package "docker-io", which doesn't exist anymore in fedora 22.
>>>
>>>   in addition, i'm interested in the docker roadmap for fedora, as i
>>> know there's some current renaming of other docker-related packages,
>>> so i'd like to know what to expect in the near future.
>>>
>>>   any pointers to online fedora/docker stuff greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> rday
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> There has been some discussion about adding Docker content to the
>> official Fedora Docs lineup recently.  The idea hasn't gotten a lot
>> of traction yet because a) the upstream documentation is already
>> quite comprehensive, and b) It doesn't fit well into any existing
>> Guide.
>
>   oh, the upstream docker docs are good, but, as i mentioned, i'm more
> interested in, i guess, the fedora-specific technology packaging or
> roadmap or whatever you want to call it.
>
>> Eventually I think we'll end up producing a lot of container-focused
>> content; Docker, systemd-nspawn, management tools ie kubernetes, use
>> cases, etc.  I don't anticipate that happening before the F23
>> release given other responsibilities of the team, but I've been
>> surprised before :)
>>
>> If you would like to help that effort, I welcome you to subscribe to
>> the Docs list and continue the conversation there.  Anything from
>> polished articles to simple requests will add value.
>
>   apart from the docs, is there something like a wiki page or
> something for fedora-specific docker stuff? again, more a roadmap than
> finished docs.
>
> rday

Well, I did some searching of the wiki, and found a couple intro
tutorials, and some Change pages around Docker features.  The Change
pages may be the closest to a 'roadmap' you'll discover.

Again, standard disclaimers apply here.  Someone could be quietly be
working on a five year plan for docker packaging and have a complete
comprehensive guide to container management stashed on the wiki, and we
haven't discovered it.  That's why I encourage those who are interested
to help draft the Release Notes, or we can find a guide to put it in, so
the content is discoverable and the applicable release is known.

While I can't show you a prepared and curated place to discover the
information you're looking for, I *can* help with the tools, methods,
and infrastructure needed for you to share the research you're already
doing or the content you've already written for your course.  In a
community project, these things come about because someone has an
interest, and they are generous with the product of that interest.

--
-- Pete