The State of Publishing Documentation in Fedora

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Thu Feb 12 00:43:48 UTC 2015

On 02/11/2015 12:49 PM, Stephen Wadeley wrote:
> On 02/11/2015 03:53 PM, Pete Travis wrote:
>> Hi all, stuff.
> Hello Pete
>
> I had an idea to test CI in one VM sending docs to another VM running
> a webserver, all in a local data centre. Not had the time yet. I would
> be interested to work with you if no one else picks up the gauntlet.
>
> Regards

The SOP for large, public-facing public sites is to use a proxy.  For
docs.fp.o, that means that nine globally distributed servers are
grabbing the built content in web.git via rsync once an hour, and the public is
served the content from whichever proxy is appropriate and available.

It does mean we're limited to static content, no database backed CMS
stuff - at least without a significantly larger engineering investment
that I'd rather not get into.  But, if we can produce a consumable site
on a VM, the proxies can handle the web serving part of the job; the
transition can be done by simply changing that one rsync invocation in
ansible.

--
-- Pete Travis
 - Fedora Docs Project Leader