DNF is the default for F22

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Thu Jan 22 04:51:04 UTC 2015

Barring contingencies, dnf has been approved[0] as the default package
manager for Fedora 22 and subsequent releases. dnf is effectively a
complete rewrite of yum and the underlying dependency solving logic, so
it's a substantial change.  If you have been using it, and especially if
you've been following bug reports[1], you probably know that the
behavior of dnf can differ[2] subtly or surprisingly from what we've
come to expect from yum.

Because of the potential confusion, I propose that we make documenting
dnf a priority for the F22 release.  Specifically, the System
Administrators Guide deals with package management the most, but
essentially *every* guide will have scattered yum invocations.  Let's
branch each guide slated for F22, work through the changes, then review
and merge the branch. The System Administrators guide is going to really
need some special attention, as it should probably address all the
quirks and snags that users will run into.

This is an excellent opportunity for new contributors.  For most guides,
the changes required are very straightforward.  It would be a
closed-ended endeavor and a manageable time investment - *if* we start
soon.  If you're able to take on a guide, please reply.

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ReplaceYumWithDNF
[1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=dnf&product=Fedora
[2] http://dnf.readthedocs.org/en/latest/cli_vs_yum.html

--