Proposed plan for the Virtualization Getting Started Guide

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Mon Mar 16 20:48:44 UTC 2015

If you haven't already, I recommend reading Kathy Sierra's latest
book, "Badass: Making Users Awesome". And yes, absolutely, write for
the novice, because absolutely nobody will use a product - even
hard-core tech types like me - if they have to go grubbing around in
the source, searching Stack Overflow for error messages, etc.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Sandra McCann <scmccann2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks -
>

> We’ve been batting around ideas for the virtualization guides for a bit now
> in irc, but I’d like to get some more feedback on the approach we can take.
>

> Seems there are two personas involved. Using our draft personas we have :
>
> Technical Tony - experienced IT person virtualizing on servers etc, knows
> his stuff and is spinning up VMs like they’re candy.
>
> Novice Ned (or Novice Nancy in my case :-) - Fairly new to virtualization,
> and looking to spin up a VM or two for her own work.
>

> Given these two personas, I’d like to suggest that the Virtualization
> Getting Started guide be targeted to Novice Nancy. To do this we would:
>
> Add an installing virtualization tools chapter - simple effort to install
> the virtualization group package and bring up virt-manager. (smccann)
>
> Add an ‘Creating Guests with Virt-Manager chapter - copying from here.
> (smccann)
>
> Adding a ‘Creating Guests with Boxes chapter (grundblom)
>
> Make minor edits as needed to remove Fedora 19 references and any references
> (if present) to a larger set of virtualization guides that may not be
> available as F21 guides yet.
>

> I also had one question -
>
> not sure what to do about the list of emulated devices - is it accurate?
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Virtualization_Getting_Started_Guide/sec-virtualized-hardware-devices.html
>

> Anyway, I’d like to get the getting started done and committed before
> considering the Admin and Deploy guide (because..ahem.. I AM Novice Nancy
> here and it will take longer for me to parse that guide).
>

> Thoughts?
>
> Sandra

OSJourno: Robust Power Tools for Digital Journalists
http://www.znmeb.mobi/stories/osjourno-robust-power-tools-for-digital-journalists

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.